Dropcents

1.12.11

Brothers really do skate......

Mike Grier retires after 14 seasons


Forward Mike Grier, who played for the Edmonton Oilers, Washington Capitals, Buffalo Sabres and San Jose Sharks during 14 seasons, announced his retirement Thursday.

Grier
Grier

Grier, 36, last played in 2010-11 after signing a one-year deal with the Sabres in his third stint with the team.

He finished with 162 goals and 221 assists in 1,060 regular-season games.

"I was very fortunate to be able to play 14 seasons in the NHL with some great players," Grier said in a statement released by the NHL Players' Association. "The memories and friendships that I have built during my time in the league will last a lifetime. I would like to thank my former teammates, family and fans for helping make my career so memorable for me. It was a great ride, and I am now excited and looking forward to my post-playing future."

Born in Detroit and raised in Boston, Grier was a ninth-round draft pick of St. Louis in 1993, and is one of the first black NHL players to have been born, raised and trained in the United States.

Grier played at Boston University, where he was part of the 1994-95 NCAA national championship team. That same season, he also was a Hobey Baker Award finalist.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7302891/mike-grier-retires-14-seasons-nhl-oilers-capitals-sabres-sharks

No comments:

Post a Comment